Los Angeles Fraudulent Use of a Credit Card Lawyer
Credit card fraud may sound like a petty crime, but it isn’t. Prosecutors in Los Angeles, CA, treat these charges very seriously; so should you.
The Los Angeles fraudulent use of a credit card lawyers at the Rodriguez Law Group have decades of experience in criminal defense. We can leverage our extensive skills and resources to help you avoid the most serious consequences for your charges.
How Can The Rodriguez Law Group Help With Fraudulent Use of Credit Card Charges in Los Angeles?
Los Angeles fraudulent use of a credit card lawyer Ambrosio Rodriguez is passionate about standing up for the rights of the accused. He built his reputation as a fierce trial attorney as a prosecutor before switching to the defense side.
His time working for the system inspires him each and every day to push back against shoddy police work and unnecessary criminal charges. His insider knowledge of how the state builds its case allows him to find holes in the evidence and use them to your advantage. If someone violated your constitutional rights, he will find out.
When you hire The Rodriguez Law Group in Los Angeles, California, some steps we may take include:
- Fully understanding your side of the story
- Analyzing surveillance and body cam footage
- Sending our own investigators to talk to witnesses
- Filing motions to exclude evidence from trial
- Negotiating for a dismissal or reduction of charges
Some clients prefer to resolve their cases with a favorable deal prior to going to trial. This could be an option in your case. However, our lawyers prepare every case as if it is going all the way to trial. Acquittal is always our first goal.
To get started fighting the allegations of credit card fraud, call The Rodriguez Law Group right away for your free consultation.
What is Fraudulent Use of a Credit Card?
There are many different ways you could be charged with credit card fraud in Los Angeles. This is a type of theft crime. Prosecutors may charge you with a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the unique circumstances.
The main credit card fraud statutes are PC 484(e-j). Some of the common charges include:
- Credit Card Theft, 484e PC
- Credit Card Forgery, 484f PC
- Fraudulent Use of a Credit Card, 484g PC
- Credit Card Fraud by a Retailer, 484h PC
- Counterfeiting Credit Cards, 484i PC
- Publishing Credit Card Information, 484j PC
The charge that most people think of when they think of fraudulent use of a credit card is 484g PC. This statute has five elements that prosecutors must prove beyond a reasonable doubt to convict you.
While the statute is complex, the basic elements can be summarized as:
- The defendant
- With the intent to defraud
- Used an access card or access card account
- That they knew they were not the legal owner of, or that they knew was revoked, forged, stolen, expired, or nonexistent
- To obtain money, goods, services, or anything of value
Each element requires unique evidence. The Rodriguez Law Group will build a defense that seeks to prove your innocence. We have successfully defended countless clients facing credit card fraud allegations in California. We will use our resources and experience to expose weaknesses and unreliability in the prosecution’s case.
What are the Penalties for Fraudulent Use of a Credit Card?
Fraudulent Use of a Credit Card in violation of 484g PC can be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony. Crimes that can be charged as either a misdemeanor or felony are called “wobblers” in California.
Felony grand theft is far less common than misdemeanor grand theft, but you should work closely with your criminal defense attorney to determine the penalties you are facing.
Grand theft is charged when the defendant allegedly obtained more than $950. Misdemeanor grand theft is punishable by up to one year in county jail.
If the value of the fraud was less than $950, the crime will be charged as petty theft, a misdemeanor. The penalty for petty theft is a jail sentence of up to six months and a fine of up to $1000.
Sometimes probation is available in misdemeanor cases to reduce the time spent in custody. However, probation can come with burdensome conditions to avoid a jail sentence.
Contact The Rodriguez Law Group For Help Defending Your Charges
Our Los Angeles fraudulent use of a credit card lawyers have helped thousands of clients facing serious criminal charges, and we can help you too. Do not waste any more time wondering what to do. Investigators are busy building their case to put you behind bars.
Contact the Rodriguez Law Group today for your free consultation.
Our Los Angeles criminal defense law firm also provides:
- Los Angeles Domestic Violence Attorney
- Sex Crimes Attorney in Los Angeles
- Restraining Order Attorney in Los Angeles, CA
- Assault Attorney in LA
- Federal Crimes Attorney in Los Angeles
- LA Theft Crimes Lawyer
- Los Angeles, CA White Collar Crimes Attorney
- DUI Lawyer in Los Angeles, CA
- Los Angeles, CA Drug Crimes Attorney
- Juvenile Crimes Attorney in Los Angeles