Central Women’s Jail

Central Women’s JailLocated in Santa Ana, CA, Central Women’s Jail is a traditional facility that consists of dormitories and cell blocks housing only females. It’s been open since 1968, and it is managed by the Orange County Sheriff’s Department’s Custody Operations Command. It can house up to 386 inmates. 

If you or a loved one has been placed in Central Women’s Jail, it’s essential to get help from a criminal defense attorney. Learn more about the facility and what you can expect when visiting or communicating with inmates.

How To Contact an Inmate at Central Women’s Jail

How To Contact an Inmate at Central Women’s JailInmates have the chance to make one free phone call when they arrive at the facility. After that, they are only allowed to make outgoing collect calls or call with a calling card. 

If you need to look up an inmate’s information, you can call the facility at (714) 647-4666. Or, you can look up the information yourself on the Orange County Sheriff’s Department inmate information website. You will need to know the inmate’s full name and birthdate to be able to receive any information. 

Inmates can receive and send unlimited mail, with the only exceptions being if there are public safety risks, threats to the facility’s order, or worries about violations of state or federal law. All mail can be subject to searches. 

To send mail to an inmate at Central Women’s Jail, include the inmate’s name and booking number on the envelope. Send it to this address:

Orange County Sheriff’s Department

550 N. Flower St.

Santa Ana, CA 92703

There is a maximum of 10 pieces of correspondence allowed per envelope. Mail has to be written on postcards or white paper that is plain or lined. You can’t send anything that is larger than a legal size piece of paper, and you can’t send correspondence from a third party. The jail allows packages that come from approved vendors.

When an inmate enters Central Women’s Jail, they will have to store the private property they have. Relatives or friends can collect the property. During a regular visit, you can fill out a property release form, and the staff will have the inmate sign it. Remember that you can’t retrieve clothing unless you bring an exchange.

Visiting an Inmate At Central Women’s Jail

Visiting an inmate requires an appointment, which you can set up by calling (714) 647-4543 at least 24 hours in advance. You can visit only twice a week. 

Visiting days are:

  • Friday
  • Saturday
  • Sunday
  • Monday

You can visit between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Inmates typically get lunch between 11:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. Dinner is between 4:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. Newly booked inmates who are under a 14-day quarantine, as well as those in medical isolation, can’t receive visitors. 

For the visit, you will need one of the following forms of ID:

  • State identification card
  • Driver’s license
  • Passport
  • Alien registration card
  • Consular card
  • U.S. military card

At Central Women’s Jail, inmates can have only one visit every visiting day (visits last a minimum of 30 minutes). Two adults and two minors can visit any one inmate, and children have to have adult supervision at all times. Unaccompanied minor children may visit relatives in Central Women’s Jail, but they must file a prior request with the Watch Commander. 

If you were released from jail in the last 60 days, you are ineligible to visit an inmate. Visits between blood relatives may be allowed in these circumstances if you receive approval from the Watch Commander. 

When you visit an inmate, you can bring only your identification and a set of keys. Visitors with infants will be allowed diapers, formula, bottles, and other similar items. The jail has the right to search each item. 

Anyone wearing offensive or inappropriate clothing can be denied entry. If you are intoxicated or disruptive, you are also at risk of having to leave.  

Services Available At Central Women’s Jail in Orange County, CA

The jail offers many services for its inmates, including:

  • Outdoor recreation
  • Television access
  • Medical and dental care
  • Mail
  • Mental health care
  • Local newspaper
  • Religious services
  • Educational and vocational programs
  • Commissary purchases

For sentenced inmates, Central Women’s Jail also offers the chance to work in the facility’s kitchen or labor crews. Eligible inmates can have access to community work programs and electronic monitoring programs. 

The maximum amount that inmates can have in their accounts is $500. They can receive checks that come from the government, but these have to have the inmate’s name on them. If you want to send a money order to an inmate, make it out to the Orange County Sheriff’s Department. The inmate’s booking number and name have to appear on the line of reference. 

The inmate will receive the funds an average of 30 minutes later. You can’t send personal checks, cashier’s checks, or traveler’s checks. Remember that an inmate can’t have possession of actual money while in jail. 

For inmates who are eligible for bail, you can pay at the Intake Release Center Jail Cashiering office using:

  • Personal checks
  • Cash
  • Money orders
  • Cashier’s checks
  • Traveler’s checks

You will need two forms of identification. You can use a personal check as one of these, but it must have an address and full name that matches those on your other ID. The jail accepts up to $7,500 in personal checks from one checking account. Traveler’s checks are acceptable only if you sign them in the Jail Cashiering office in the presence of a cashier. 

For certain defendants, you may only be allowed to pay in cash or check. Before attempting to pay, contact Inmate Records to ensure the exact bail amount and the accepted payment options. 

The Theo Lacy Facility and the Intake Release Center are the locations for posting bail bonds. The Intake Release Center is open all day, while the Theo Lacy Facility is available between 8:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. every day. The jail will fingerprint and identify anyone bringing a bond who is not a licensed bond agent. 

Getting Help From a Criminal Defense Attorney If Your Loved One Has Been Sent to Central Women’s Jail

If a loved one is in Central Women’s Jail, you need someone who can offer guidance and represent their rights. A Los Angeles criminal defense lawyer can provide the assistance they need when facing jail time. 

Call The Rodriguez Law Group for a free consultation at (213) 995-6767 or contact us online to review your or your loved one’s case.